Tuesday 23 February 2016

The Truth Behind a Smile

I can’t remember when it was that I began to feel ‘unhappy’. I guess that’s because I never questioned it. There wasn’t a day as a child where I woke up and thought, ‘today I feel depressed’. Rather, every day I felt empty, hollow, numb whilst simultaneously feeling constantly panicky and worried about everything. It was hell. But hey, that’s just life, right? Get on with it. So I did. 

I suffered in silence, scared to question my terrifying world and dreading a lifetime of feeling this way. I went to school each day and smiled my way through. I was always the joker of the class, the bubbly one, the smiley one. What did I have to be unhappy about? I went to a lovely school, had gorgeous friends and a beautiful family and home. I was lucky. 

So I kept quiet. But the more I silenced and forced a smile on my terrified lips, the more difficult things got. I developed obsessive thoughts around food and hygiene and began hurting myself multiple times a day just to get through. Sometimes the pain was to numb the panic, sometimes it was to make me feel less empty: to feel something. Often I did it because I hated myself. I was only a little girl, but I hated the way I looked and I hated myself for feeling the way I did. I’d tell myself, ‘why can’t you just get on with things the way your friends do?’ I started crying myself to sleep, hoping that this would be the last time I would close my eyes, hoping that there wouldn’t be a tomorrow morning. 

That’s when I started to think things might not be quite right. The more I saw the girls around me, the more they looked so care free, so un-troubled; their arms unscarred and their laughs somehow more resonant and real than mine could ever sound. I began to not quite believe that they too had to bleed to get through, that they too had a dark cloud encompassing their every move and that they too were waking up to thoughts of death each painful day. So I reached out for help. 

I told my amazing best friend who confirmed these worries. It wasn’t ‘normal’.
After talking to her, I knew I needed help, it was my GCSE year. I had to get better. But I was ashamed and frightened. I felt that telling more of my friends and family would only disappoint them. I was so worried how they would react. Thankfully, the school had a confidential counsellor and I began seeing her on a weekly basis. It gave me a chance to let out all the worries consuming me, but it wasn’t enough and as I began being more open with the counsellor, she was worried for my safety and the time came to tell my family. 

Despite my fears, opening up to my family was a huge feeling of relief. They were not disappointed, only concerned and got me the help I needed straightaway. After sessions with a GP, psychologist and psychiatrist I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, BDD and contamination OCD. Rather than feeling overwhelmed by this diagnosis, it was a relief. It indicated to me that life wasn’t ‘just like this’, I wasn’t going to feel like this every day and I could get better! I was put on medication and began weekly sessions with an amazing psychologist who I will be eternally grateful to.

My road to recovery was a long one and certainly not easy, with big ups and downs along the way but I am proud to say that with the love and support I now know what happiness feels like and look forward to my future. Reaching out for help was the best decision I ever made and to everyone that helped and supported me along the way (even if that was just a hug one day or a squeeze of the hand) I owe my life and happiness to you, so thank you so much. It is possible to get better and believe me it’s worth it. Now that I am better, I want to make sure that fewer children experience such pain and when they do, they are not afraid to speak out and get the help they need and deserve, so #itaffectsme <3
Let’s get mental health education on the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment